- MEC Construction LLC
- Chief Estimator
- Fairmont, WV
- General Manager
- Exempt (Administrative)/ Full Time (At-Will)
- Under the direction of the General Manger, the Chief Estimator is responsible for the oversight of the estimating process for all projects, and will establish standardized procedures, methods and processes for estimating and training department staff in the use of the same. The Chief Estimator will oversee analysis of past performance on projects and establish estimating standards for all future estimates based on such analysis, and assist in oversight of the historical cost database and bid management and estimating software.
- Manages the Company’s estimating team and
- Reviews project plans and specifications and coordinates with the team to confirm complete scope
- Identifies risk issues and their order of magnitude
- Solicits subcontractor and/or supplier information & pricing
- Partners with the Company's Purchasing department to prepare comprehensive cost estimates associated with bid/work securement process
- Prepares instructions to bidders, bid form and other bid solicitation information as required
- Performs and/or manages the quantity survey and pricing effort for internal budgets
- Prepares conceptual budgets based on minimal information
- Reviews general conditions, schedule, scopes of work, hoisting plans, site logistics and other exhibits as prepared by Clients, third party contractors, vendors, supplies, and internal departments
- Ensures the flow of project information is maintained and documented
- Reviews and/or manages the review and scoping of specialty contractor bids
- Coordinates insurance requirements with the Company's Compliance Manager
- Coordinates technical proposal requirements with the Company's Engineering and Project Management department
- Reviews constructability issues with the General Manager and the General Superintendent
- Maintains and communicates data on construction and material cost trends affecting project costs.
- Analyzes alternate means and methods to determine the most economic alternative
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
- Actively participates in industry events and reviews industry publications to remain current on best practices
- Participates in the transfer of information on successful projects including the Job Kick-off Meetings
- Participates in periodic reviews and visits to projects as appropriate
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Company Management
- 15 years of experience in an estimating/project management/construction management role
- 10+ years of estimating experience natural gas processing / power piping facility construction projects
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented atmosphere
- Ability to proficiently utilize the programs with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to proficiently utilize Navisworks, AutoCAD, and other similar design software
- Ability to travel extensively and for extended periods of time
- Ability to be a highly motivated, self-starter
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situations
- Ability to adhere to schedules
- Ability to assess and quickly solve problems
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong communication skills
- Possess sound technical knowledge
- Possess commercial instincts
- The individual must be able to wear and properly utilize appropriate task specific personal protective equipment (PPE) to visit current and prospective project location when required. This includes hard hat, task specific safety glasses, life vest, respirators, task specific hearing protection, task specific safety shoes, or other protective equipment as required by the work performed and location in which the work is being completed
- Ability to sit up to and including 6 hours in a standard issue office chair
- Ability to withstand exposure to computer screens and cellular telephone screens
- Ability to visually see equipment operations well (either naturally or with corrective lenses)
- Ability to execute repetitive movements of the arms, hand, and fingers in performance of work
- Ability to lift up to 25 lb. objects occasionally and to carry to up 25 lb. objects occasionally
- A bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or university with a concentration in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Process Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field of study is required; however, candidates with 10+ years of natural gas processing / power piping facility estimation experience will be considered in lieu of education.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Travel will occur on an as-needed basis including occasional overnight travel to attend pre-bid meetings.
- MEC Construction LLC (MEC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
- MEC Construction LLC offers competitive salaries, benefit programs and a high paced professional workplace conducive to professional growth and development
Ready to Apply? Complete the Form